Friday Farm Day

 Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening All!

We are gathered here today to take a saunter through our gardens. As a reminder to all, I garden organically (No pesticides and Only Organic Fertilizer) year round and live in Zone 9B. I am just beginning my fourth year of gardening, and learned everything I know on mostly Youtube but some websites as well.

Starting in the front yard, we have our roses blooming again. These are miniature roses which are true roses that were bred to stay small.

Next, you’ll see our sunflowers are really starting to bush up. I can’t wait until they’ve bloomed. These are volunteer sunflowers. A volunteer plant happens when seeds are dropped and get into the soil, a plant will just come up on its own without help from anyone. There are more in the backyard, but I didn’t take pics of those today.

Next is Star Jasmine. I can stand and linger by these flowers all day. Despite their small size, their scent packs a huge, sweet punch!

Last on our tour of the front is the Mulberry, no matter how much we pick, they just keep coming in

Despite their similar appearance, mulberries are not closely related to raspberries or blackberries. All three species belong to the Rosales order. But while the mulberry is a tree belonging to the Moraceae family (also including the fig, jackfruit, and other fruits), raspberries and blackberries are brambles and belong to the Rosaceae family (also including the apple, peach, and other fruits).

Not counting the many handfuls of Mulberries we’ve already eaten this season, we’re already over two pounds! For the rest of the world, that’s a little over a kg!

Moving to the backyard, you’ll see the strawberries have slowed down production but are still looking good.

You’ll see the papaya plant (yes, it’s a plant) slash passion fruit is still looking lush. As a reminder, I took seeds from a papaya that I bought in the grocery store, put them in the ground, cut back all the weaker plants until I was left with the strongest one. Now, I have so much papaya, I’m mailing it, unripe, to friends.

The beefsteak tomato is getting bigger, there’s a couple smaller ones on the plant just difficult to get them all in one pic.

The potato in the container is doing real well, the ones in the ground? That’s a story for next week.

Lastly, let’s not forget the dune sunflower. Native to Florida. It “should” be in the ground. However, let’s all remember I have a duck situation. Muscovy ducks have taken over my back yard, they’d trample the plant.

Thank you for joining me on this tour of our gardens!

Happy Friday Farm Day

Comments

  1. Be careful on that ladder and getting the Papayas down my friend. The dune sunflower reminds me of the smaller Gerber daisies I usually get every summer.The sunflowers next to any type of Lilacs are my favourite. Your beefsteak tomato is doing really well along with all your wonderful fresh produce and fruits. So much more cost efficient also when you grow your own and especially organic ones..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicks getting on that ladder, I promise. ๐Ÿ˜‚

      I’m glad I made the decision to start gardening, especially now when vegetables have become so much more important to me.

      I suspect the sunflowers will bloom next month.

      Delete
    2. You will definitely get the nutrients you need with your homegrown fruits and veggies for sure.Glad to hear you will not be getting up on that ladder.๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘Œ

      Delete
    3. I’m definitely trying, the protein is where I’m struggling the most. I bought some protein powder to combat that.

      Thanks Joy

      Delete
  2. I can give you some duck recipes if you want your ducks put to good use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I’m not gonna kill them. I’m far too soft for that.

      Delete
  3. Quack quack! I have daffodils coming up (at least 2-3 weeks early). And daylilies sprouting. And yesterday I cut back my hydrangea bush, today it will be the overgrown red twig dogwood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like spring has sprung in your neck of the woods.

      Delete
    2. Dang, your mulberries are productive year-long, and it doesn't look as if you have pests filching them.
      Out on the west coast, the camellias are still blooming, but not for long. Wish I could post some pix here. The Pakistani mulberries are setting thousands of fruits now, and the dogwood, violets, and Brugsmansias are blooming fools. The last 3 days it was in the upper 80s and dry. Tomorrow it will be 58 and raining.
      And then there's bee ๐Ÿ drama...
      ~ Curious

      Delete
    3. I got the pics, I’ll write you back later.

      We do have a few slow months over “winter” when the yield is like 2 a week. But, I’m guessing the cat population has something to do with why the rodents leave my stuff alone. ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  4. At first glance, I thought the mini rose buds were some sort of alien invasion ๐Ÿ˜‚

    I love the smell of jasmine. I thought I planted one somewhere but it disappeared ๐Ÿค” But then, I have had plants stolen from my miniscule garden before ๐Ÿคจ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They’re tiny!

      Jasmine is gorgeous isn’t it. That’s sad that they’d steal plants. Of course I had some stolen too, I just don’t get these people.

      Delete
    2. What pissed me off the most is that when my fruit-bearing cherry tree (not ornamental blossom kind) was stolen ๐Ÿ˜ก

      Delete
    3. That would definitely piss me off

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lawsuit over AFF

Notes from Motion to Dismiss Hearing

Wegovy Wednesday Week 7